Church of the Presidents
1260 Ocean Ave.
Long Branch, N.J.
The Last Remaining Structure
All Seven Presidents
Who Vacationed in Long Branch
site is closed to the public while undergoing restoration.
shingle siding was recently restored/replaced and painted in the
historical original color. The
work was funded in part by grants from the Monmouth County Historical
Commission and the New Jersey Historic Trust, which also helped to fund the
recent masonry foundation restoration.
of steel L-brackets to stabilize the structure
A new roof
to the crenellated tower and its roof
Restored bell and belfry
Complete restoration/reconstruction of
Restoration/repair of decorative transept
South-facing siding and trim
Restoration and painting of the
exterior clapboard, weatherboard, moldings, panels, and shingles along the
north-facing side and back walls of the church, as well as the lower
portion of the crenellated tower, are all that remain to complete the
Grants from the New Jersey Historic
Trust and the Monmouth County Historical Commission have been awarded to
perform this work but matching funding is still needed.
Siperstein’s is donating the paint for the Church of
the Presidents restoration.
More Presidents Worshipped at St. James
Chapel than at
Any Church Outside of Washington, D.C.
Ø Deconsecrated in 1953, the building is known as
the Long Branch Historical Museum, and is owned by the Long Branch
Historical Museum Association, a
nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
Ø The museum was closed in 1999 due to instability
and stabilized in 2003 with private donations. Artifacts and windows were removed
until restoration is completed.
Ø The Church of the
Presidents is listed on both the State of New Jersey and National Register
of Historic Places.